Fifth Reformed Church
To advance the mission of the church by providing strategic, visionary, and effective
pastoral leadership within the congregation, focusing primarily on the development and
deployment of leaders
Status & Accountability
This is a called, ordained position that reports to the Lead Pastor and entails
membership in the Great Lakes City Classis.
1. Maintain a vital and growing relationship with Christ through the exercise of basic
Christian spiritual disciplines including prayer and meditation on scripture
2. Demonstrate high level of moral integrity understanding that personal conduct impacts
the larger work and witness of the church
3. Collaborate with staff and lay leaders in supporting and advancing the mission of Fifth
Reformed Church: Growing disciples who make disciples
4. Proactively engage and build relationships with direct reports and volunteer leaders in
order to facilitate their growth and continuous learning
5. Communicate in a friendly, positive way in order to facilitate forward progress
6. Maintain appropriate confidentiality with regard to sensitive information
7. Agree to, and abide by, the Staff Team Covenant
1. Collaborate with the Lead Pastor to provide leadership that effectively advances the
mission of the church.
2. Champion our congregation’s investment in developing Christian leaders. Craft,
implement and oversee an intentional plan for leadership development that identifies,
develops and deploys leaders both within and beyond the congregation.
a. Partner with the Children’s and Student Ministry Directors in designing and
implementing leadership development models for children and students.
b. Collaborate with the RCA Commissioned Pastor program leadership where
appropriate in the development of ministry leaders and church planters.
c. Give primary leadership to our Teaching Church relationship with Western
3. Exert pastor-level leadership that adjusts to the current needs of the congregation and
promptings of the Spirit.
4. Partner with the Lead Pastor in charting the preaching ministry of the church and share
5. Along with the Lead Pastor and Pastoral Elders take responsibility for overseeing the
general spiritual health of the church through the systems of assimilation, care and
6. Collaborate with, and supervise, the Children’s Ministry Director and the Student
Ministries Director, providing theological vision and oversight to child and student
7. Serve in an ex-officio capacity on the Administrative Board.
1. Desire to serve in a team-based ministry and demonstrate ability to work collaboratively
as one of a primary leadership team.
2. Embrace a discipleship-centered strategy of mission.
3. Participate in a reproducible model of discipleship for the purpose of growing disciples
who make disciples.
4. Possess excellent gifts of teaching and preaching.
5. Demonstrate ability to build and lead teams.
6. Demonstrate passion for leadership development through an ability to lead leaders and
to develop leaders of leaders.
7. Demonstrate ability to cast vision in ways that inspire others to follow.
8. Believe in, and be willing to lead the church in, processes of biblical church discipline.
9. Express openness to participating in our church multiplication effort, up to and including
the possibility of offering pastoral leadership at different church plants and venues for a
period of time.
10. Possess a high level of emotional health that is evident in personal interactions.
11. Possess excellent relational skills, organizational skills, and communication skills – both
verbal and written.
12. Have at least five years of experience functioning as a pastor in a local church.